Monday, October 8, 2007

Writing with Edit HTML

This is my first time using HTML to write my blog. I thought I would experiment and see what I could do with my very basic knowledge of HTML (and a little help from our course readings).

This text is bold.

This text is pink.

This text is Dark Orchid 2 in bold italics!

This text is Royal Blue 1, underlined, bold and in italics!

This text is LARGE!

This text is small.

This is green Times New Roman underlined.

While this is orange Veranda underlined.

As I experimented with HTML on my blog, I noticed that the site would adapt what I was writing to code it preferred. I would enter a colour code and then preview it. When I returned to edit my HTML, the code had changed to the specific colour title (eg. purple, pink). Moving forward, I understood what Blogger preferred, and would write my HTML to fit the language used by Blogger, instead of the language I had previously used.

This may seem really simple (or perplexing?) to anyone with a background in HTML, but for me, with limited experience (by limited I mean none until now) it was a challenge. Surprisingly, once I got 'into the groove' I found that it was straightforward and actually, kind of fun. I did make numerous errors, some of which Blogger fixed for me, but for the most part, I was able to look at my 'Edit HTML' and identify the problem. For example, I was having problems with my first task - making something bold - but I had simply forgotten the '/' when ending the command. This took me about ten minutes to spot, but in the end it acted as a great reminder to close all future commands. I discussed my error with my friend Mike, who has a background in Computer Science from the University of Guelph. He said, "It's usually something small and annoying that messes everything up. Then you've wasted hours on it and consumed enough caffeine to kill a small child" ... encouraging!

For me, HTML is like learning a different language (and a different way of forming sentences and instructions). Right now I am embarking on my second attempt to learn French - so, perhaps by Spring 2008 I will be on my way to becoming trilingual. Down the road, I believe we have to make a website for HIS 513 - this is a daunting challenge that I (now, somewhat, kind of, reluctantly, yet happily) welcome with open arms!

3 comments:

Carrie-Ann Lunde said...

Congrats! Victory over HTML!!

Ben said...

Thanks for great HTML tips!
Custom website design

Sherley said...

I making my first site about essay writing sample when I was ta school! It was a great pleasure for me!